speedometer

For all things Gheenoe.

Moderators: Bassboyz, costefishnt

speedometer

Postby ducktrooper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:04 pm

How is everyone who is posting speeds measuring their speed? What type of speedometers are simple and affordable for basic outboard set up? Thanks
ducktrooper

Postby Tom C » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 pm

GPS
Tom C

Postby holly springs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 pm

GPS
holly springs

speed

Postby Noeettica » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:08 pm

GPS Gpsmap72 cheap and good ;-)
Noeettica

Postby ducktrooper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:44 pm

thanks...dumb follow up question....what type GPS....would a Garmin Etrex work? I need to get one for marking hot fishing and hunting spots...
what brands and models would are easy and reasonable...150-200?
ducktrooper

Postby Chasing Tail » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:49 pm

etrax is good, gps 72 is good. i believe all new gps's have speed built in and are capable of putting down waypoints. some may/may not have maps that show you waterlines/channel markers/lakes, but the basic etrex and 72 should
Chasing Tail

Postby microtom » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 am

For your first GPS stick to an inexpensive model from a major brand like Garmin, Lowrance, and Magellan if possible.

Basic options that people consider are:

Color vs Black and White. - Color is good if you add detailed mapping software

Software Compatability - Garmin is known to work with 3 party software. Especially open source (free) software. Thats good when you want to plot a course on Google Earth and transfer it to your GPS. Lowrace, especially the iFinder series, uses proprietary mapping software that is good but costs more money.

Support for 3rd Party Mapping Software - Good models will allow you to buy a chip that contains detailed maps of the area you intend to use the unit. The primary brand is Navtronics. The chips are usually specific to the model or brand of GPS and are expensive so make sure you have a GPS that you like before you make the investment.

One final note. Its been my experience that automotive NAV unit/GPS devices do not make good marine units. Someone else might have more experience trying than me and have a different opinion. The iPhone and Google Earth are a great way to look at your current position if you have one handy but I would not recommend relying on it for a full featured GPS. I may explore the app store a little more to see if there is something else to use on the iPhone........
microtom
Site Admin

Postby ducktrooper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:31 am

THis is GREAT feedback....just what I needed. Thanks for taking the time to give me this insight..I'll start looking at and comparing models this weekend...we have a Bass Pro nearby. John
ducktrooper

Postby holly springs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 am

I use a Eagle Cuda® 350 S/Map Sonar/GPS Fish Finder. It runs about $200 and does everything I need for depth/fish finding and gps. Does not have all the bells and whistles.

Here is a link to Cabela's site: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... rm1&Go.x=0

Hope this helps.

Bob
holly springs

Re: speed

Postby JRyanL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 am

Noeettica wrote:GPS Gpsmap72 cheap and good ;-)

He's right. Works perfect and it's cheap. Just sold mine with my 13' about a month ago and wish I still had it. The new owner loves the GPS too and won't sell it back to me. :(
JRyanL

Postby ducktrooper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 am

I'll check that one out. I don't need a fishfinder....but do want one with compass and some loadable map features. Is color screen better or worse in the bright sun?
ducktrooper

Postby J.A. Veil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Keep in mind that GPS measures speed over bottom, not the speed through the water. When you are operating at higher speeds, it doesn't matter. However, if you want to troll at a slow controlled speed so that your lures perform correctly, the speed will be different if you are running with a tidal current or against it.

The paddlewheel attachment for some fishfinders or the pitot tube built into larger outboards gives speed through the water.
J.A. Veil

Return to Gheenoe Review