Mercury Sea Pro 25hp

For all things Gheenoe.

Moderators: Bassboyz, costefishnt

Mercury Sea Pro 25hp

Postby LA-Spoolspinner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Was chatting with my local boatshop about numerous things and the subject came up of the Mercury Sea Pro 25hp 2-stroke. The person who works there (whom I have come to trust and consider a knowledgable source of information) mentioned that although the powerhead is easy to work on and provide parts for...the lower unit is another story. Said that everything in the lower unit in terms of parts are unavailable here in the US and can sometimes be difficult to come by. Anyone know of any truth to this? I am considering ordering one and would like to know this before I do...
LA-Spoolspinner

Postby Railroader » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:26 am

He's PARTLY correct.

Mercury US won't even acknowledge the existence of the Sea Pro's.

But it doesn't matter, because the only thing MERCURY about the Sea Pros are the decals.

Any part you'd ever need is right there, readily available, in the TOHATSU dealer's parts catalog... :wink:
Railroader

Postby fishfarmer77 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 am

the regular mercury's are fine
and you can order parts online
i looked into the sea pro and it is hard to get parts
but there is a difference from the tohatsu
the mercs have the all-in-one tiller and if that breaks ( which mine did for no reason at all ) it will be hard to find parts

but why do people want sea pro anyway
fishfarmer77

Postby whitesnook » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:38 am

fishfarmer77 wrote:the regular mercury's are fine
the mercs have the all-in-one tiller and if that breaks ( which mine did for no reason at all ) it will be hard to find parts

You got to be kidding me....

I Will pick a sea-pro over 25hp merc 2 stroke anyday!

Why?

It's easy to work on, bump to 30hp only for 12 bucks, handles more abuse and it''s commerical version means stainless steel housing tube with water pump, dual water pump intake , beefier mounting brackets and it Will smoke any merc's! :lol:
whitesnook

Postby shinerkiller » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:40 am

whitesnook wrote:
fishfarmer77 wrote:the regular mercury's are fine

You got to be kidding me....

I Will pick a sea-pro over 25hp merc 2 stroke anyday!

Why?

It's easy to work on, bump to 30hp only for 12 bucks, handles more abuse and it''s commerical version means stainless steel housing tube with water pump, dual water pump intake , beefier mounting brackets and it Will smoke any merc's! :lol:

True! But reaching back to shift SUCKS
shinerkiller

Postby fishfarmer77 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 am

it dose
like alot
i have a old merc without the all-in-one and i never use it because i got my merc all-in-one tiller on my gheenoe
its alot easier
and everyone is amazed at it that i can shift on the handle
:lol: :lol:
its a big plus
fishfarmer77

Postby shameerb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Hoping back to get the shift lever is a PITA but its a constant reminder I need to lose a few pounds or do yoga!!
I read the same as what rail roader said about the parts. I'm sure if I needed any I could just get them direct from the dealer the motor comes from in Canada.
I did weigh up the option of the sea pro vs an older Merc (for the tiller). I went with the newer motor. Just personal choice and some good things said about it by other people on this site I had PM'd. Option to bump it to 30hp is nice to although I may just stick to 25hp... its plenty fast for me.
The price was pretty competitive when compared to a newer 4-stroke also.
shameerb

Postby Jim311 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 pm

30 horse is stupid fast on my Classic. Those Sea Pro/Tohatsus seem pretty highly regarded. I did a bunch of research on them when I was looking for a motor for my new boat.
Jim311

Postby haiger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 am

I went with the Sea Pro and love it. It's a no brainer when you start looking at the used outboard market in Florida. For a couple hundred more I get a band new 25 hp two-stroke delivered to my door with a warranty vs. a 7+ yo outboard with an unknown number of hours on it.

As mentioned, the side shifter is the only complaint I have, especially on a LT 25 with a rear deck. There are a couple examples around of modifications that allow for remote shifting. I plan on running a shift cable up to my grab bar when I get some time.
haiger

Return to Gheenoe Review